Sunbed reopening and tanning guidance
From Monday 15th June the sunbed is open again! We will be advertising the days it will be open and it will be on a strictly appointment basis only.
Tips for ensuring a beautiful, even tan.
Before the tan:
- Thoroughly exfoliate all areas of your body to remove the dead layer of skin 24 hours before. With a good exfoliation, you will ensure that your tan lasts as long as possible.
- 24 hours before the day of your tan do not to apply any lotion, oils or perfumes, as they will reduce your skin’s ability to absorb the tanning solution.
- Make sure that all make-up is removed before your tanning session.
- We recommend that you shave the day before you tan as well.
- You will need to remove any jewellery before you tan.
After the tan:
- Drink water directly after spending time in a tanning bed. Tanning can dehydrate the skin.
- Apply a good-quality moisturiser to your skin directly after tanning to help cool the skin and replenish moisture. All professional tanning products can be purchased at our reception.
Determining your skin type and duration of tanning sessions:
Our skin type is something we are born with and we cannot change it! There are six basic categories of skin types. See if you can identify your skin type using the table below. Our therapists can help with this too.
- Skin Type I: Usually bright white or pale skin, blue or green eyes, red hair and many freckles. This skin type always burns outdoors, never tans.
NOTE: A person who is a true Skin Type I should avoid tanning indoors and outdoors.
- Skin Type II: Light beige skin, blue or green eyes; blonde or light brown hair and maybe freckles. This skin type has a strong tendency to sunburn outdoors, but sometimes tans.
- Skin Type III: Light brown skin, brown eyes and hair. This skin type sometimes burns outdoors but always tans.
- Skin Type IV: Light brown or olive skin, dark brown eyes and hair. This skin type sometimes burns outdoors and tans readily.
- Skin Type V: Brown skin, dark brown hair and eyes. This skin type rarely burns outdoors and tans easily.
- Skin Type VI: Black skin, black-brown eyes and hair. This skin type rarely sunburns outdoors.
Please note: although the chart above discusses skin type burning potential, you should always tan in moderation and avoid sun burning indoors (and out)!
Indoor tanning chart by skin type:
Skin Type I: THIS SKIN TYPE SHOULD NOT TAN
Skin type II: 4 min. 5 min. 7 min. 9 min. 9 min. 11 min.
Skin type III: 5-6 min. 6-7 min. 7-8 min. 10 min. 10 min. 12 min.
Skin type IV: 7 min. 8 min. 9-10 min. 10 min. 12 min. 15 min.
Skin type V: 9 min. 10 min. 12 min. 12 min. 13 min. 15 min.
Skin type VI: 10 min. 12min. 13 min. 13 min. 15 min. 15 min.
Please note: All skin types should skip a day in between tanning and leave 48 hours between first and second sessions. If there are reddish skin tones or tenderness customers are advised to wait until that goes away before tanning again.
From June 15th sunbed appointments are strictly by appointment only – contact 07882 167532 for availability.
Must be over 18 years of age: ID will be requested if required.
Click for further details of our sunbed, Power Tan products and prices: https://madisonbeauty.co.uk/treatments-prices/sunbed/< Back to Blog List